EpicGenetics’ FM/a Blood Test for Fibromyalgia Is Now Available in Canada

EpicGenetics’ FM/a Blood Test for Fibromyalgia Is Now Available in Canada

EpicGenetics’ FM/a Test for detecting fibromyalgia is now available in Canada.

FM/a was the first blood test for fibromyalgia to receive U.S. Federal Drug Administration approval— in 2012.

The test identifies white blood cell anomalies that are known to occur in those with the disease. It has a high accuracy rate, displaying 93% sensitivity in diagnosing fibromyalgia. This means the test identifies a person with the disease 93 percent of the time.

Patients whom the blood test diagnoses as having fibromyalgia will be able to take part in a genomic survey investigating genetic biomarkers for fibromyalgia, according to EpicGenetics. The hope is that the information will help scientists identify fibromyalgia-related mutations and genetic markers, similar to the BRCA1/BRCA2 genes that can predict breast cancer.

The company expects to include up to 250,000 patients in the survey. It will cover the costs.

“There has been tremendous response and interest from Canadians in receiving an accurate fibromyalgia diagnosis with the FM/a Test and in participating in our landmark clinical study efforts announced last month,” Dr. Bruce Gillis, EpicGenetics’ CEO, said in a news release. “We are excited to announce that we can now accommodate these patients and finally provide them with certainty about a commonly misunderstood and misdiagnosed disorder.”

The FM/a Test grew out of a collaboration between EpicGenetics and the University of Illinois College of Medicine Chicago. The American Association for Clinical Chemistry has recognized the test as an example of outstanding research in clinical and diagnostic immunology.

In addition to the United States and Canada, the FM/a Test is available in the United Kingdom, the Europe, the Caribbean, South America, Central America, Australia, New Zealand, Mexico, Hong Kong and Turkey.

Fibromyalgia is characterized by chronic pain and fatigue. These symptoms can cause sleep disturbances and anxiety, worsening the condition. The exact mechanisms underlying these symptoms have yet to be determined.

1. Hello.
    I am in the UK. I have been told I have Fibromyalgia….been in pain for years etc.
    Please can you tell me how I can have the test here in the UK, what hospital or centre name please. Or even the specifics of the blood test and I can ask my doctor to send me for the test.
    Kind Regards.
    Patricia

2. StevefromMA says:

I paid for test, passed (ie. I have blood proteins at levels consistent with fibromyalgia), will get genome sequenced for database, but am really awaiting clinical trial and, hopefully, cure.

3. Vicki K says:

Read that our red blood cells are very large and cannot get through the tiny capillaries in arms and legs, is why they feel so heavy and useless, cannot move them much. Not enough oxygen. Was told once by a functional MD in GA who did my blood tests himself, that I had HUGE red blood cells, was so astounded, he kept repeating it. Now they can test WHITE blood cells and find it for sure? It’s an immune system disease, then, not low oxygen. People were using hyperbaric oxygen chambers to get more oxygen. Interesting.

4. Shannon says:

The previous cost of this test was some $700 USD, so I’d imagine it be no different now for Canadians. Keep in mind most insurance providers will NOT cover this cost. So this test will remain out of reach for most Canadians. If you are already diagnosed, don’t bother with this test.

Personally, I find it a disgusting money grab.

5. ABAD says:

Enfin un espoir mais but why can us in europ see that test for fibromyalgie i am so ill so ill with frobymyalgia
    tnanks so much to give me an answer please very very quickly because every day of my life is horrible with the devil

6. Cindy says:

Hi there I have not been diagnosed with fibromyalgia however I suffer from chronic pain due to failed back surgeries. I believe I may also have fibro and the nurse at the pain clinic also thinks I may have it. I live in Nova Scotia is there a possibility of participating in they study and getting the blood test performed?

7. Tanya Leigh says:

I’m in Nova Scotia and have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in March 2016. My doctor will fill out forms to recommend me for this study. Looking forward to hearing from you.

8. Brenda says:

I have fibro for 10 years and it’s always on my mind is it something else ,so I would love to be part of this .Im from Nova Scotia

9. Christine says:

Definitely interested in taking part in this study! My GP doesn’t believe that fybromyalgia exists.. buy I was diagnosed by a psychiatrist at the hospital with it. I never had an issue until 2012 when I had my bariatric surgery. Currently down 240lbs staying steady at 125lbs. I have had nothing but problems ever since. Can’t eat because of stomach disturbances…chronic widespread intense pain, memery loss, chronic fatigue…the list goes on. I am so fed up with feeling so useless. I’m lost as to what to do..

Peterborough Ontario

10. Sandra says:

I was diagnosed over 20 years ago and now my symptoms or worse then ever. I would like to know how to get the blood test and be in your clinical studies.

11. Gillian says:

Just got off the phone with them. Current cost is USD$936 plus $150 for Fedex. Clinical trials of vaccine not available in Canada so blood work doesn’t help get the vaccine. So disappointed!