7 Tips for Better Sleep

7 Tips for Better Sleep
Through the Fog When you have fibro, sleep can be potentially fleeting and most often unrefreshing. When we don't get enough sleep, our emotions, our energy levels, and our cognitive abilities are affected. I would like to share some tips for better sleep that help me.
  1. Bedtime routine — It helps to have a relaxing routine that can include a warm cup of milk or a steaming cup of chamomile tea. Listening to quiet music. Reading. A warm bath. AVOID TV, and all your fun electronic devices. If you have a lot on your mind, it can be helpful to write them down. Keep a pad of paper and pen next to the bed. It will alleviate any anxiety about remembering stuff. Try diffusing a relaxing essential oil, such as lavender.
  2. Room Temperature — This is so important, because if you're too hot or too cold, it will be really difficult to get comfortable. Once you fall asleep, it's more difficult to stay asleep if the room temperature is not just right — for you.
  3. Dress comfortably — Soft pajamas, night shirts or nightgown, sweats, T-shirts, boxers, or in the buff. Comfort truly makes a difference and it's very individual. Sometimes a soft sleep mask can be helpful.
  4. Sounds — Some people like falling asleep to the sound of a fan or to nature sounds. Some want it completely quiet. You may want some quiet music that relaxes you. You may want to wear ear plugs.
  5. Food — A

1. Carrie says:

I also find an epsom salt bath before bed can help to relax my muscles and helps me sleep better. Great article Robin! You always have very helpful tips.

2. Denise Bault says:

I would also suggest either an Epsom salt bath or a foot bath for those of us who don’t want to get in the tub. The magnesium in the Epsom salts helps!

3. Heidi says:

I have found sleeping in a very very dark room is critical. Waking up and going to sleep at the same time every day also helps. I find napping interrupts my sleep pattern since I have more trouble falling asleep when I go to bed that night.

4. Grace from Australia says:

I have known and followed all these tips but….sleep is still very temperamental. I like dark – it’s dark in my room. I use earplugs, lavender oil, magnesium before bed, cool temperature (air-con when needed, don’t eat anything after 7.30 pm etc. etc. And yet, sometimes I don’t sleep until after 7 in the morning. This is with the inclusion of Valerian, 1/2 a muscle relaxant and sometimes Fusion Sleep (a good product here in Australia). Often I almost fall asleep but hot burning feet wake me up again and I have to put them in a tub with cold water before I can try again. Often I wake up at 3 am and have to read for awhile before I can try again. Sleep – I hate you! Nothing works when sleep does not cooperate. After 45 years of marriage my husband sleeps now (since 1 year) in our spare room. That’s sad!

• Robin Dix says:

Grace, that sure sounds frustrating! What about a nice warm bath with Epsom salts and lavender oil before bed. Also deep breathing – inhale on a count of 4, hold it for a count of 4, and exhale to a count of 4. After doing this several times, you should find yourself really feeling relaxed.

5. Eyrun Ey. says:

Don’t forget the Snoozle slide sheet. It’s really helpful if you have pain when you’re trying to switch sides in bed. I’ve already recommended it to all my fibro friends.

6. Marilynne Rowland says:

Haven’t commented before, but have found a couple of things that help not seen here. We unplug our internet service an hour before bed! 2 things happen: you are off the computer which studies have shown stimulates your brain just as you need to slow down and the currents that run the internet are stopped. This was recommended by my accupuncturist who uses herself as a guinea pig before ever suggesting anything for her patients. She also has both hubby and I using Trace Minerals Electrolyte Concentrate in 100% tart cherry juice around dinner time. Some have found a teaspoon of local raw honey before bed eliminates a blood sugar drop through the wee hours of the morning that can wake anyone. Hope these might help someone.

7. Peter says:

You’ve not mentioned natural supplements, iv’e found that Taking 5-HTP has been really effective for relieving the pain and getting some actual sleep. Hope this helps!

8. Maureen Roland says:

I finally gave up on all the so-called natural remedies and tried Ambien (zolpidem). As long as you take it and get in bed IMMEDIATELY, you will sleep like a baby. I finally had a full nights sleep after years and years of terrible sleep. Hope it works for some of you.

9. Delores says:

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 2006 and along with that came menopause:-( I’ve taken and did just about everything that I’ve seen suggested !! Hormonal replacement is not an option since I have heart disease… Any other suggestions???? Signed Desperate!!!