Easing My Pain with CBD Oil

Easing My Pain with CBD Oil

finding balance

It is again that time of year when the weather turns cold and my pain level intensifies greatly. Many of us fibro warriors suffer from increased pain in the colder months. Winter is my least favorite time of year for this very reason. Last week, we got our first snowfall and below-freezing temps of the season. And, boy, did I feel it!

Every year, I struggle with how to deal with the worsening pain during the winter. No matter what I try, nothing seems to help. Since I’m weaning off gabapentin, my pain level is quite a bit higher than the last few winters. I need to find a replacement, preferably something natural without side effects.

I live in Minnesota, one of many states that have legalized medical marijuana for certain conditions, including intractable pain. I wanted to get on the program, but whether FM pain is considered intractable is up for debate. The definition I found states the pain has to cause an early death to be considered intractable, but even my primary care doctor didn’t know what it meant for sure.

Finding a doctor who will prescribe it is almost impossible. According to my doctor, none of the physicians in her large network of clinics and hospitals want to be classified as pain doctors, so they will not get involved in prescribing it. Try finding one who will. I couldn’t! If they do it, they don’t advertise it.

I was able to find a pain clinic that will do it for $450. But you still have to register, which is another $100. Oh, and you still need to buy the actual medical marijuana. The sad thing is, you have to do this every single year! No medical insurance covers the cost, so this is all out of pocket. Not an easy expense for a lot of FM sufferers.

What a joke! No wonder most of the people who qualify for the program don’t use it. It is way cheaper for them to drive out to Colorado a few times a year and buy products to bring home or to even purchase it on the street. Why have these programs when the ones with most need can’t them access them?

Because I can’t get into the program for legal medical marijuana, the next best thing is cannabidiol (CBD) oil. I’ve read a lot about CBD oil but had never tried it. I know there are a lot of warriors who swear by it and some who haven’t had any success with it at all. But all of us are different, and the only way I’ll ever know is if I try it myself.

After just three days, I’m noticing a reduction in my pain levels. I also slept for more than seven hours in one night for the first time in months. I took some about 6 a.m. before work and made it the whole eight hours without pain, which is highly unusual for me. I feel less anxious than usual.

The cost isn’t as much as I thought it would be. I bought a 1-fluid-ounce bottle, which cost about $25, at my local Fresh Thyme grocer. I went with unflavored, but you can get flavored, too. The taste takes a little getting used to, but it isn’t horrible.

There is little or no THC, so you will not get stoned or high while using this. Some products will show up in drug tests though, so if that is an issue for you, check with the various manufacturers to make sure you get the correct oil for you. There are a large variety of options out there when it comes to CBD oil.

So far, I am very happy with CBD oil and I plan to keep it in my daily regimen.

If you are new to CBD oils and would like more information, I recommend checking out CBD Oil UsersIt is a great resource.

Do you use or have you tried CBD oils? What was your experience?

***

Note: Fibromyalgia News Today is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website. The opinions expressed in this column are not those of Fibromyalgia News Today or its parent company, BioNews Services, and are intended to spark discussion about issues pertaining to fibromyalgia.

1. StevefromMA says:

“an early death” LOL…I wonder if many fibro consider death as coming too early?

I got hemp cbd oil before my state legalized MJ, did not work for me and after expensive, like you, credentialing process, drank tons of the MJ stuff and got cbd salve massages. I got a little fuzzy around the edges but zero pain relief, unfortunately.

2. Amy says:

Interesting definition on ‘intractable.’ I wonder if wishing for an early death counts…..I have the same issue with migraines, although I believe that daily migraines will cause an early death because they leave lesions on your brain. Unfortunately, I am in GA and MJ isn’t legal here, although I recently found out they have approved CBD with 5% THC as legal for 7 different diagnoses and pain isn’t one of them. Then there is the issue that no one can grow or produce this ‘legal’ amount in the state of GA. I have yet to figure out how you are supposed to get this.

I have tried CBD oil but found it too expensive at the doses needed for me to get relief. I didn’t find it much of a straight pain reliever, but it does significantly help with depression, relaxes muscle spasms and helped me sleep a little more. I guess prices are just higher since I am in the Atlanta metro area. A 1 ml bottle of Charlotte’s Web – which is the famous one from Colorado – at the strength of 11 mg CBD per ml is $35. That lasts 5-6 days. The next strength up is around 20 mg/ml, costs $75 per bottle and lasted 2 weeks with marginal results. I’d love to try it at higher doses to see if it would work, but it would probably be about $300/month and I am single and not on disability so making that much money is difficult. It just ticks me off that people who really need the help either don’t get access or can’t afford access. I am still hoping for recreational use by federal law which will kick off competition and lower prices. Then maybe all of us can get the relief we need to live a normal life. I only sleep 2-3 hours at a time because it is too painful to stay in one place for longer than that.

I guess bottom line is – if you can afford the appropriate strength of CBD oil, everyone that I know that uses it has seen relief – some in pain, some muscle relaxation, some PTSD. It has lots of uses!! I don’t want to take medical MJ and feel high all of the time. I like to drive and go to church and I have to still work – none of which I can do with THC in my system. I function better on opiates, unfortunately, so I am stuck with that for now and at half my old dose because of all of this media hype.

3. I have tried CBD oil,and medical marijuana as well,unfortunately,neither work for me. I still feel the small amount of THC,in the CBD oil,and it makes me feel too spacey.I wish I could use it.I know that many people get pain relief from it.I am going to try it again. Thats what we warriors do,try,try,and try again !!The marijuana makes me sick,so definately not good for pain relief.Happy weekend everone.

4. Denise Bault says:

I’ve tried it. Am using the peppermint flavor. I get it through Healthy Hemp online. Mailed directly to the house. (Check out the website Realm of Caring too.) It has helped. I can always tell if I forget to give myself two squirts in the morning! Was skeptical at first, but you know how it is – we’ll try anything for relief!

5. Christine Lynch says:

Be sure to differentiate between the CBD in hemp and the CBD in marijuana. We need more research. Someone to do a double blind test with one group using one and one group using another. If we could only bring this stuff out into the light of day I’m sure we’d find ways to use it that are effective. But, unless and until the Federal government approves it, no one wants to get involved and little research is possible. This is so sad for those of us who need pain relief.

6. Cindy Vreeling says:

I have been taking 1 to 1 THC and CBD Oil for over 2 months. Because it includes THC – I do get a high feeling and only take it at night. I sleep better, am not as stiff and do not hurt as much when I wake up. After 16 years of taking Flexeril every night to allow my muscles to relax enough to sleep (and still having only 6 hrs of disrupted sleeep), I have been able to wean myself off of it. I no longer take pregabalin and am taking a low dose of cannabis oil so I feel that there is a reduction in the amount of drugs I take overall and the accompanying side effects. I do still take cymbalta (again a low dose) and am happy to report that there are moments throughout the day where I feel no pain. Is that ever a neat experience; truly amazing. I know this won’t work for everybody, but I do hope you all can find the regime that works for you!

7. Lindy Brockington says:

Could you please tell me how MUCH of the CBD oil you are taking every day? I have some, but have no idea how much to take. I also have MMJ, but had a horrible reaction after I think I took too much and am afraid to try it again. But, the CBD oil I could use.

Thanks

• Carrie Anton says:

Hi Lindy, Everyone is different so you need to experiment to find what works for you. I’m still trying to figure out the best amount for me. The stuff I bought initially is a very low dose so I’ve been taking it 3 times a day and have went through a whole bottle in a week. The bottle claims to have 80 doses. I ordered something more potent that is 6x the strength of what I’ve been using. It was $119 a bottle vs. $25 for the 1st one but it should last longer and be more effective. You will need to play around to see what works best for you. Some people do well with low doses and others need a lot more. Some companies sell sample packs so you can experiment. Check with cbdoilusers.com for discounts and sample info. I also joined a group on Facebook that is for Fibromyalgia sufferers who use CBD oil. Best of luck to you and I hope you find some relief!

• Karen says:

Lindy, you want to start at taking about 15 mg of CBD once or twice a day and work up to 25 mg. As you start building up tolerance you can increase. (Don’t worry, you can’t overdose on CBD or marijuana) You have to look at how many mg’s are in your bottle and how many ml’s or ounces the bottle is and figure it out from there.

8. LisaR says:

Carrie, how much do you take? I feel like the dosing is so vague. When I’ve tried it, I’m never sure if I’m taking the right amount. And twice a day? Three times a day? I wonder if maybe that’s why people get such variable results.

• Carrie Anton says:

Hi Lisa, I currently take 3 mg to 5 mg 3 times a day. It works okay but there was a really cold day that I doubled what I normally take. Dosing is very vague. It is up to each individual to figure out how much works for them. This may help you https://www.cbdoilusers.com/cbd-oil-dosage/. This website has a lot of wonderful info and I’ve referred to it quite a bit in the last week. I started with the lowest dose 2x a day and worked my way up. Good luck and I hope you find some relief!

9. Okay a safe natural alternative is an oil from doTERRA called Copaiba. Copaiba comes from the resin of the Copifera retoculata, offinalis coriacea, and the langsdorffii. It is steam distilled and has a Spicy, woody scent. The main chemical component is Caryophllene which works on the CBD2 receptors. Can be taken internally 1 drop/4 fl oz. of liquid, aromatically 2-4 drops in a diffuser, and topically by diluting 1-2 drops in a carrier oil then apply to the desired area. This oil can cause skin irritation, applying in a carrier oil will help reduce irritation. Since it does not work on the CBD1 receptors there is no high. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIbUtuf79Qg

10. Miriam Ruff says:

I have been vaping CBD oil for over a year now – it is completely legal in all 50 states, so there is no expensive credentialing process or prescriptions needed. After years of chronic migraine and FMS, I have found that the CBD provides the best relief for both conditions, and it reduces my anxiety levels. The only drawback is it makes me excessively sleepy, so I can’t take it during the day, but my nights are some of the most comfortable times I have during the day. I would recommend that people give it a shot before resorting to the highly controversial and excessively convoluted MJ process.

11. Diana Du De Voire says:

Hi. I hate to see you getting bad stuff, even if it works and, yes, I have fibro, BADLY. I live in WI. I have noticed a drastic change with the weather changes/barometric pressure within the last two weeks.

I started using CBD oil capsules back in July. I get them from cbdoilreview.org. During my investigative work I found there are so many websites who sell it in different forms and many of those sites add “junk” to their products. I came across the above website. They explained that before launching their site, they bought products from every other site and had their scientists break down and analyze exactly what was in those other products. 98% were only about 10% CBD oil. So they did our homework for us. I ordered a bottle of 60 capsules ($90 with shipping). I took one capsules (you can take up to 2 a day, once every 12 hours). The next morning I had no pain. NO PAIN – A MIRACLE! One worked for me until winter weather set in about 2 weeks ago. At that point I was in a lot of pain during the day so I took one in the morning as well and now pain-free round the clock. CBD Oil Review sells it under the name Elixinol Hemp Oil. Because it is a capsule, you don’t have to worry about any taste. They sell it in many different forms, but I like the capsules. Check it out. I was told to never buy it from a health food store because, again, you don’t know if it’s pure. Check it out and good luck to all.

• Carrie Anton says:

Hi Diana, Thank you for your comment. I’ve used that website as well and it does have some very good information and is very helpful when looking for quality oils. I used Blue Bird Botanicals 6x oil and it is amazing (which is rated 5 on CBDoilreview.org). I like Charlotte’s Web (another 5 rating), which you can actually get a huge discount at Fresh Thyme Grocers. They sell it for 50% less than CW sells it on their website. Per customer service at CW, it is the exact same product so you actually may find better savings in store if you do your homework and check around. Just make sure to buy only reputable brands. Doing just a little research could save you a lot of time and money in the long run!

12. DJ says:

I use CBD oil on occasion. It doesn’t give me the “buzz” feeling or any of the side effects of marijuana. It doesn’t seem to help the pain but it does help with my muscle spasms.

13. Kathy says:

Yesterday was quarterly visit with my doctor.He said I cpuld try CBD oil. As long as it has no THC to show positive, I should be good to go.MMJ is not legal in Indiana, so, anything I buy here should be ok. I am researching where to get it and dosage levels. If this should help with pain, anxiety and sleeping issues, then I can stop the pharmaceuticals. I am going into this with no expectations. I really would like to be off a lot of meds as I am about sick of taking them. If this helps, I am going to let my daughter and granddaughter try them. Thwy have PTSD and if this helps, I am sure it would make my home a more pleasant place to be! Wish me luck!

• Carrie Anton says:

Good luck Kathy! I hope you are able to find some relief. Don’t get discouraged if you don’t get relief the first try. There is some experimentation and trial and error involved but it is well worth it. Let us know how you do!

• Diana Du De Voire says:

I take CBD oil in capsule form for fibromyalgia. It does not have THC in it and it works great. However, regardless of whether it has any of the THC in it doesn’t matter because it will show up in urine samples, depending on who (hospitals/clinics) do the testing. Some hospitals/clinics, I found out, test for more than THC so the CBD does show up. I went into the hospital ER for what turned out to be a blood clot in my lung. When they tested my urine, marijuana showed up so I ended up in a psych ward for cannabis use and that’s where they treated me. It was a nightmare. I had patients wandering in and out of my room at all hours of the day and night, did not see a dr. the first 3 days I was there so released myself early and went to a different hospital. They had me set up to stay for 4 days in the psych ward for strictly psych treatment in groups. I HAD A PULMONARY EMBOLISM IN MY LUNG. I did not belong in a psych ward, but because cannabis showed up in my urine that’s where I was put. So be careful.

14. patricia fraser says:

Illinois recognizes fibromyalgia as legal form of obtaining medical marijuana. So I go to a dispensary and get CBD lotion and the CBC mint.
    I have no clue what is what but when I put lotion of spots that hurt, nothing happens, same with mint. Unless I walk around with a jar of this stuff in my hands and slap it on neck shoulder scapula arm (cervical neuropathy as well) I don’t get much relief. Cant take meds either. Tried BORON products but not much there either. Now I am so tired of trying to read and type, have to get up and move around.

15. Nina says:

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 2007. I also have chronic whiplash and a hip injury that debilitates me with nerve pains that engulf my entire leg. I’ve tried at least 8 other brands of cbd and none of them have worked even half as well as Prime My Body does. I believe in the product enough that I decided to become an independent affiliate for the brand, and I would not have been willing to do this with any of the others as they just didn’t work as well. I’m including my affiliate link with this comment so that anyone reading can check it out for themselves and if you find it works great for you too, you can even become an affiliate as well.
    As far as pharmaceuticals go for the pain I’ve been dealing with for years, the one I hate the least is Lyrica and even with that I could only take it once a day because of the side effects. If I’m taking something for my pain, I expect to be able to function better after taking it, not worse. Cyclobenzaprine had less side effects, but it would knock me out without fail. So taking one would also require taking a nap. I have a strict policy that I will not take any pharmaceutical drug for more than 6 months at a time and I do my best to go years between taking them. I don’t like what they do to my body and I don’t have time to get addicted to them.
    I’m really grateful for my friend that introduced me to Prime My Body. After having bought two different brands that were $80-120 and them not providing the results I need, I had sort of adopted the attitude of thinking cbd was an expensive joke. Now I know that the right brand is a lifesaver.

16. Kamila says:

Just a warning, mixing medicinal marijuana with antidepressants may cause tachycardia. Choose one or the other, don’t mix. Been there, done that, ended up in a cardiologist office with 150 average bpm.