7 Common Medications Used to Treat Fibromyalgia

For people with fibromyalgia, pain medication is an important element of managing the disease. As well as dealing with the debilitating pain, medications can also help sufferers with fatigue, muscle spasms, and depression.

Before taking any new pain medication, it’s important to speak to your health care provider to ensure it’s safe for you and won’t interfere with any other medications you may be taking.

Here are seven of the most common medications used for treating fibromyalgia according to practicalpainmanagement.com:

Antidepressants

In addition to treating depression, antidepressants can also be used to help block pain signals to the brain. There are two antidepressant drugs which have been approved by the FDA for the treatment of fibromyalgia—duloxetine (Cymbalta) and milnacipran (Savella). Patients can also be prescribed selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) such as Prozac or Paxil or tricyclic anti-depressants such as Pamelor and Elavil.

Could massage help relieve fibromyalgia pain?

1. Em says:

What happens when someone has had allergic reactions to all of these poisons?? Some severe enough to land me in ICU. I am not at interested in narcotics nor any legal Mary Jane.
    I have turned to the teachings of those now deceased. This warrior’s war cry has been heard!!!!

2. Teri Hendricks says:

Fibromyalgia is a horrible disease that is not terminal. I am always looking for the normal life I once had. Not a life of pain, fatigue and all the other weird ailments that pop up here and there.

I myself have had almost all of the poisons listed and have had my own close calls. I wish they would find cure. In the meantime I want my symptoms treated for quality of life and continued testing.

If it means putting poison in my body I will do it. It’s called desperation and hope!

I am taking some of the ones that help my symptoms the most prescribed by my Primary care and supplements which he has deemed ok. Narcotics are not off my books, I take them occasionally.

I have been taught first hand too for over 20 years. Son and DIL, Meth and opioids. Destroyed their lives 3 times over and it could be more. Friends of theirs have also lost their life. Depends on the personality of the person for abuse and some doctors over prescibing from patient manipulation.

This does not deter me. I tell my doctor no most times when offered a narcotic and others he persuades and talks me into it.

The hunt still continues with hope for other options and one day they will find a cure. I want my life back!

3. Polly Nuschler says:

Another story that “criminalizes” the use of opiates. “Narcotics should only be used for a short time; can be addicting.”

Does the author of this article understand that Fibro is a CHRONIC disease and can never go away? I’ve been on opiates for 50 years. I have taken the same amount of Oxycontin (20 mg three times a day) for nearly 20 years! Never abused it. Never increased it.

One is “dependent” on opiates NOT addicted. For those of us with constant unrelenting pain, oxy never gets rid of the pain..but does lessen it so that we can work outside of the home or inside. Since Oxycontin is a sustained release tablet, there are no peaks and valleys–just consistent, reliable pain relief. We get no “high” or “euphoria” with narcotics. It just makes us able to handle the pain better.

So please! Stop using terms such as “addicting” or “only using for short term use” as it makes us feel like druggies, abusers. It’s hard enough having this disease without editorial comments such as these!

• Kathleen Jack says:

That is SO true!!! I’ve been on Norspan Pain Patches for 8 yrs now, & yes I know I’m obviously addicted to them…however, the pain I suffer is so great, that I must have them. I hate this life of Autoimmune Diseases. I have Fibromyalgia, Hashimoto’s Hypothyroidism, & now being tested for Sjogren’s Syndrome…plus have Greater Occipital Neuralgia for 29 yrs!! I am fed up to the eye teeth of not being able to go to work…to not being able to even work in my own house anymore, even to shower everyday cause it’s just too exhausting, so I clean myself with wet ones wipes. I hate the loneliness of living alone most of the time, except I am now blessed to have my ex husband visit me for a few days every couple of wks to look out for me. ( we’ve been good friends since our separation 18 yrs ago, but he lives & works in another City 4 hrs flight away!) zthough I have 3 dogs that make me get out of my bed at some point in the middle of the day, to get to the lounge chair to sit & watch telly in. I can no longer cook meals for myself…I can stand & prepare like I used to 5 yrs ago. I’ve got an extraordinarily bad lower back & am having some nerve burning procedure on them in 2 wks to try & kill the pain, which I am so looking forward to…but I just, overall, seem to be getting worse? I go along ok for a few days…which is about 45-60% of my old self, & then I just drop like a tyre tube that just suddenly loses all its air & goes flat. Is anyone else house & bed/chair ridden most days like me?? It’s pathetic. I used to almost be filled with energiser batteries all my life with a touch of OCD, now it’s like I’m dead & still breathing 😱😰

• Pam says:

I’m with you. I’ve been on opioids for 16 years due to fibro and crps. I also have muscular dystrophy. Opioids are not the answer for some but for those like you and me, who suffer every day, they take the pain to a somewhat tolerable level (until I have an crps flare and then nothing helps but wait it out). I admire those that can tolerate their pain without medicine. There’s all kinds of “new” pain treatments out now that the CDC has placed a war on opioids. Maybe, just maybe one of them will help with our suffering.

• mike k adams says:

Those who do not suffer can not understand. They look at what a book or a study says and makes their determination. I promise if those writing their opinions were to succumb to this disease they may change their minds and in a hurry. I have had Fibro for about 20 years. I am not on narcotics today but I have been and most likely will be again unless their is a cure found.There is an all consuming amount of Ignorance When it comes controlling pain not just with Fibro. There are terrible side effects with today’s current drugs and some of us will become addicted to the medicine that keeps us from jump off a building to end our pain.So what is at stake here is we either do everything we can to allow a person to have a sliver of a life, and yes it takes a lot of time the doctors won’t or can’t commit to. The constant treatment of someone with Chronic pain. (It Never Goes Away) Nothing more heartbreaking than (I’ll see you 3 months) with no help in sight.They more accepted approaches let’s make sure they do not have access to a drug that may give them some relief but may cause problems for them.That should be criminalized to withhold help because its has a potential of causing problems. Let’s withhold chemo it’s got some really bad side effects with very little proven benefits.Many Cancer treatments are not very effective but they are prescribed because there is a sliver of hope they may extend someone’s life no matter the cost to their bodies or pocetbooks. Its simple really we as a society pick who will be treated and who will not because of the lack of our medical community’s ability to understand what’s at stake for our brothers and sister on this earth. God Bless

• Helene says:

Thank you so much for speaking out about these negative comments concerning opiates. I’m on 30mg Targin twice daily and without this I’d never cope. I do need other meds like Phnergan that help me as well. I’m hoping to drop back his month to twenty mg twice daily. I have very severe lower back disc degeneration n upper midd as well. I have never been able to tolerate any antidepressants,but am able to use 2.5-5mg Valium when needed to help. It’s so hard when your doctor leaves or as in my case no longer afford a doctor. Just trying to find someone who doesn’t want to give u these run of the mill meds that cause me more harm than good is very stressful in the extreme. Most just don’t want to listen. I’ve asked if they are prepared to take the time to keep notes on type of cycle I get n what works but they have actually said they don’t want to do it. How bad is that. You take what works when u find it.
      May God Bless you n keep you.

4. Nicole says:

Sad that LDN isn’t on the list. Although it may not help everyone, it sure helps me a lot. It’s non addictive, no side effects, it’s cheap, and makes life 100% easier for me since I have far less down time.