When Worry Creeps In, We Can Only Do Our Best

When Worry Creeps In, We Can Only Do Our Best
This time of year can be a bit gloomy and anxiety-provoking for me. Winter can be beautiful with the snow, but the harsh winds, bitter temps and cloudy days make me long for spring. I am almost guaranteed to spend a good part of one month (usually February) in a flare mainly due to the weather. My all-too-familiar friend of heightened pain, that is a mixture of a centralized deep, gnawing pain intermixed with a grinding pain that feels as if my muscles are being kneaded like a blob of dough, develops. The effect is annoying to the point I have visualized ripping off my skin as a means of relief. All of this drains my energy making the simplest tasks, like walking from the bedroom to the bathroom, an athletic feat. Winter also represents cold and flu season, when the dreaded germs and viruses are ready to attack, and I may become one of its targets by happenstance from a once-in-a-blue moon outing, or the more common event of a doctor's appointment. I still can come into contact with others, like my husband, who can become an unfortunate host for germs. Fortunately, my immune system must be pretty strong because I do not acquire many illnesses. As I age, I worry about illness. Those of us with chronic illnesses already have met our "quota." It doesn't seem fair that we should have additional conditions, even acute, bear down on our bodies. I know that fibromyalgia is progressive. How could an illness that keeps the body in constant and varying types of pain and gradually affects other systems of the body, such as respiratory, gastrointestinal and neuro-cognitive, not be progressive? I have minor flares that last from a day to a couple of weeks. Then there are the major flares. I have had two in the course of my illness, which is going on 21 years since I no

1. Denise Bault says:

Lori, we could be twins. Be glad you have a husband and a home. Unfortunately, some of us had those things and they are now gone, due to this strange thing called “fibromyalgia.” Know that I cried as I read your article and that I, too, am a survivor!

2. Patrice says:

Lori,how I can relate to your struggle.I have had fibro for 21 years as well. If it weren’t for my loving husband I don’t know where I’d be either. I certainly cannot work. My husband helps with things around the house and even gets the groceries. My fear is something happening to him one day…like he dies before me. That terrifies me because I don’t have friends or family here and it’s just my husband and I and our kids but they are 20 something teenagers. Ha!

Thanks for being so honest in your note, so that the rest of us can be honest.

• Lori G says:

As I mentioned in my too, it sometimes feels like it is my husband and I on our own. I have lots of friends but many do not live close and few family members, some have ‘disowned’ us due to my illness. I know so many others are struggling and are not as fortunate as I. I am glad that it brought some to discuss their own issues and hope it didn’t create more anxiety for most.

3. Fibromyalgia began at age 55, husband died when I was 61, taught in primary grades until I was 70. (Had to have a reason to get out of the bed) remarried at 71. Have had breast cancer needing surgery and radiation, lung cancer ( 3″ wdge removed from middle lobe), and Colin cancer and surgery. Right Audrey in neck 70% blocked, low thyroid, high cholesterol and restless leg syndrome.
    I will have my 78th birthday in March, will never give up. I have two children and two grandchildren and a husband to live for. I feel as if I have had the flu for 22 years. Have never stopped hurting, very little sleep but I will not let fibromyalgia destroyed my life!

• Tim Bossie says:

Wow. If you could hear my long, low whistle then you’d know how much I admire your strength and positive attitude. You are a great inspiration to many.

• Lori G says:

WOW! You have definitely had your share and then some. I know you must appreciate each and every day given that you have experienced some intense health conditions that make many of us think this might be the way our lives end. I have a mixture of feeling grateful that I have so little to deal w/ in comparison, and also much admiration for all you have endured. I am sorry that you had to go through this, but, definitely sounds like you know, evenmoreso, what to treasure in life the most and take from each day what good that you can. As with everyone w/ this illness, I am sorry you have to endure this and I hope that you will never have any added health problems arise. Definitely and inspiration!

4. Lori G says:

Thank you for comments, Denise! I got teary-eyed when I read your comments! It pains me that so many of us have to endure this illness and all of the judgments, lack of support, misunderstandings, and realities of life that can occur with it. I have a fortune cookie that says, “Count your blessings” that I keep on my computer. While I am highly aware of many people/situations that bring much happiness into my life, on bad days filled with much frustration, I look at that fortune, take a deep breath and muster through whatever is the issue. I hope that you have many blessings to comfort and aid you in your journey of life with FMS. Take care

5. Denise Bault says:

Thanks, Lori. That means a lot. When you’ve lost pretty much EVERYTHING, there’s only one way to go and that’s UP! I just keep waiting for the “elevator” to go to the next floor. 🙂

6. Em says:

I remember when I was growing up I always wanted to be w/ the old people as I thought them far more interesting-now I am old and no one comes around.
    Seems my elevator has broken down.