Fibromyalgia Patients May Be at Risk of Developing Osteoporosis, Study Suggests

Fibromyalgia Patients May Be at Risk of Developing Osteoporosis, Study Suggests

Patients with fibromyalgia have decreased bone density at the lumbar spine and are at risk of developing osteoporosis, according to a new study. The authors argue that fibromyalgia patients should be assessed for this condition to avoid further complications.

The study, titled “Bone Mineral Density Is Decreased In Fibromyalgia Syndrome: A Systematic Review And MetaAnalysis,” was published in the journal Rheumatology International.

Previous studies have suggested that fibromyalgia, which is associated with low levels of physical activity and exercise, may lead to the development of osteoporosis (decreased bone strength). However, while some studies have reported decreased bone mineral density (BMD) in different anatomical locations in fibromyalgia patients, others did not find this association. So it is not yet clear whether there is a link between BMD and fibromyalgia.

Researchers reviewed four studies involving 680 fibromyalgia patients which investigated the association between fibromyalgia and BMD in adult patients. In these studies, fibromyalgia was diagnosed according to the criteria of the American College of Rheumatology, and bone mineral density was measured at the lumbar spine (the region near the lower back where the spine curves inward) and femoral neck (near the top of the femur bone, in the legs) by dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry.

The analysis showed that BMD was significantly decreased in the lumbar spine of fibromyalgia patients compared to healthy people, but no differences were found in the femoral neck.

“[Fibromyalgia] is associated with at least decreased BMD at the lumbar spine (L2–L4) compared with normal individuals from the current data,” researchers wrote in their report. “Patients with [fibromyalgia] should be assessed for risk of osteoporosis.”

According to the authors, previous studies showed that “strength and aerobic capacity are associated with bone mass in women with fibromyalgia, and physical activity should be encouraged in this specific population to optimize bone health and also to prevent the risk of osteoporotic fractures.”

The team recognized that one limitation of their study was that not all studies of BMD and fibromyalgia could be included, because not all assessed the same bone regions or outcome measures. Still, the individual results of such studies also support the team’s conclusion.

More studies with larger numbers of patients and BMD analysis of various locations should be conducted to further evaluate the relationship between fibromyalgia and the risk of osteoporosis.

1. Grace from Australia says:

I already have osteoporosis but refuse to take the meds as they seem worse than the cure. I take Calcium with Vit K and Vit D3. I also try to stay active. Just wonder what else can be useful Many of the weightlifting exs are not good for me as with FM you do get injuries easily.

2. PAMELA BERGMANN-KNEBEL says:

Any idea if this can apply also to increased bone loss in the gum. I am having this problem and wondering if the fibro has contributed to this.

3. Ann says:

I agree more studies need to be done, please! I have 3 fused discs in my lumbar region and a titanium rod. My spine surgery did not 100% heal my intense back pain most likely due to Fibro. I have had Fibro for 6 years and have spiraled downward with many symptoms to the point of disability. My knees have osteoarthritis. Still under 50… help!
    Thank you!

4. Denise Bault says:

I too have degenerative disc disease, bulging discs, protrusions, etc. in my lumbar region. Am waiting to have my first epidural in that area instead of the trigger point injections I normally get. I wonder if there is an additional correlation between this and fibromyagia patients? Seems like there’s a lot of overlap, doesn’t it?

5. Sue says:

OMG! no wonder I’m falling apart! I also have demineralization in and degenerative disk disease in lower spine. Now my right thigh or hip hurts so bad it’s hard to walk and I can feel it starting in my left hip. I also have less density in my jaw causing me to loose teeth. What else can this disease give us? Is there anything that can help in bone density? I try and always have been very… active but getting increasingly difficult. What kind on specialist can help? I recently purchased a portable hot tub made of a rubber-like material, cost only 400$ and is extremely helpful every night. Hope that this info
    is a help to anyone else.

• Tim Bossie says:

We’d like to say we are sorry for your problems Sue, but don’t want to minimize it to just words. There are so many debilitating aspects to this illness that it seems like we see something new every other day. We do hope that you are able to get a bit of a reprieve from the pain and other problems. Many people with fibro see a wide variety of specialists from rheumatologists to neurologists. And the hot tub idea is great. They can make the harder days a little bit easier to handle.

6. PAMELA BERGMANN-KNEBEL says:

I also have been having problems with my teeth, specifically, bone loss in the jaw. They blame many things but not fibro. Anyone else having these problems?