I’m in pain all day every day to varying degrees, depending on the weather and my activity level. The pain has become background noise for me. Fibro fog — now that’s another matter entirely. I hate that I can’t remember names, words, or what I was even saying. I think of something I want to look up and by the time I have Google open, I completely forgot what I sought. Frustration is too mild a word for this. I’d probably go with vexation.
Fibro fog is especially challenging for me when writing or trying to remember my neighbor’s name or what that thingamabob is called. I was shocked to learn that the cognitive abilities of those of us suffering from fibromyalgia are that of someone 20 years older! So, if you figure that our cognitive abilities lessen with each decade, that is a serious disability. It’s sad and scary all rolled into one fibromyalgia problem.
Is there anything we can do to slow the fog down or improve on the brain power we currently have?
Following are some of the cognitive issues that I’ve experienced with fibro:
1. Difficulty recalling facts, as well as short-term memory issues.
2. A frustratingly difficult time focusing on work or conversations, remembering where I put my cellphone, or even what someone just said to me.
3. Increasing frustration at being unable to find the word that I want to say.
4. Forgetfulness, the inability to concentrate, or just mental slowness, especially if I’m overtired or not feeling well.
5. When confronted with multiple tasks at once, it’s hard to focus and stay on task. It’s hard to multitask when I can’t even remember what I was just about to do. Having too many things to think about just exacerbates the anxiety and inability to think clearly. It can be so overwhelming.
6. Hormone issues related to menopause that fibro seems to exacerbate.
7. Depression has been an issue for me since my late teens. Fibro fog seems to instigate depression, or maybe it’s the other way around.
The pain and fatigue of fibro is no walk in the park, but the inability to stay focused and on task is especially disquieting for me as a writer.
What issues do you struggle with?
Note: Fibromyalgia News Today is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website. The opinions expressed in this column are not those of Fibromyalgia News Today, or its parent company, BioNews Services, and are intended to spark discussion about issues pertaining to fibromyalgia.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?