Using Essential Oils Makes Scents

Using Essential Oils Makes Scents
finding balance I’ve heard a lot of positive things about essential oils, but never experienced them. At first I thought it seemed like a lot of hype, but after trying them, I’m hooked! As my fibromyalgia worsens, I find I’m more sensitive to smells than I was in the past. I love perfume, but can no longer stand the smell of it. I’ve switched to natural cleaning products to avoid offensive chemical smells. Hairspray has become nauseating, and I can’t use it anymore. I couldn’t see how essential oils could be good for me when I struggle so much with strong scents. My interest was piqued, but I felt overwhelmed. There are more than 100 different oils from which to choose. How do you use the oils, and which ones are best for fibromyalgia symptoms? You can buy individual oils or blends (such as “pain relief” or “stress relief”). You can do the work yourself, or buy premixed blends. Many co-ops or natural food stores make blends while you wait, and also make recommendations based on your specific needs. Look for organic and pure oils. Some are a little pricey, but they are worth the extra expense. I use oils in a few different ways. My favorite is a pain-relieving blend in my bath. A few drops in combination with warm bathwater relaxes my muscles, and melts away stress. Using an electric diffuser is another method. I found a small unit online, with eight essential oils, for less than $30. It was a great option for a beginner. In a nutshell, they work by breaking d

1. Julie Shenk says:

I’m with you. I’ve been a latecomer probably because of the cost. But now that several places like Puritan’s Pride; Bulk Aromatherapy; Bed, Bath, and Beyond (don’t forget coupons); plus Bath and Bodyworks (coupons) offer as well, I will explore more. I was gifted lemon one year and love lavender, peppermint, and chamomile. My daughter and I are attending an informational class soon. I, too, love how they can be used in lotions, Epsom salts, directly, and in diffusers. There are options to what you need. Bath & Bodyworks for a long time have offered therapeutic sleep lotions; calming lotions, and energizing lotions. I’ve used for years and they do work or make my life better! Plus they have a 1/2 off sale twice a year 🙂

• Carrie Anton says:

Great info Julie! Thank you! I didn’t realize Bed, Bath & Beyond sold essential oils. They always have coupons. I will look into that. I bought my diffuser & oils from Art Naturals. I got a 30% code through “honey” and got a 10% coupon for joining their mailing list. Art Naturals has a large selection of base lotions to mix the oils with as well as other products. Please let us know what you learn in the class. I think there is a store in my area that offers classes sometimes too.

2. PAMELA BERGMANN-KNEBEL says:

I have just discovered the wonders of essential oils. I knew there was research that said they would help but never got around to doing anything. Then I bought a small diffuser and oils on Groupon for $35 and found that this helped. Now have bought a second and have one in my office or dining room and one that runs at night in my bedroom. I have been using lemongrass and rosemary for pain. Also like lavender for sleep benefits. Am now wanting to get some natural oils that I can apply directly to feet, back and knees which hurt the most. Frontier Coop out of Iowa is a good source of natural products and carry a large selection of oils. Also fairly inexpensive.

3. Em says:

Hi Carrie!! Congratulations and welcome to the world of essential oils. One of my favorites is the combo of lavender and hops. I put a few drops in coconut oil (melting temperature 75 degrees) and use it every morning after a shower to help my achy body relax. The fragrance stays w/ me all day. Coconut oil is also very good to massage the scalp and gives hair a nice shine.
    Currently I have a horrifically horrid sinus infection which has me in a mega fibro flare. Finally had to call the doctor for an antibiotic :(.
    Supplementing with ginger, turmeric and garlic tea. I much prefer the fresh ginger and turmeric which I grate and boil-just be careful w/ turmeric as it STAINS!!!
    Essential oils are delightful-I cannot tolerate the odors of perfume or cleaning products.
    thank you for sharing.

4. Beverly Lopez-Sims says:

I too love to use essential oils. Its a nice natural first option for me before breaking out the meds.

• Carrie Anton says:

Diane, I read a lot about them in Facebook Fibro groups and also know a few coworkers who love them. But it was a trip to a local grocery store that made me take the plunge. A woman in the health section asked me if I needed help because I was staring at how many essential oils there were to choose from. Turns out she has fibro and suggested a blend called stress relief that helps relax muscles. She used it in her bath along with epsom salt. I bought a bottle and it did help to relax my muscles. So I ended up searching diffusers online and found one on sale with 8 essential oils. Just last night I placed an order online for more lavender because that has helped me fall asleep faster. It relaxes me right away. I put about 3 drops on my pillow, but away from my face, as some oils can irritate your skin. Good luck!

5. Kathy says:

This may be a silly question, but I can’t smell anything. Would this help me since I can’t smell!
    Kathy

• Carrie Anton says:

Kathy, Actually that’s a great question! My sense of smell is pretty poor, but I still am able to benefit from essential oils. I asked around and everyone I spoke to said that being able to smell the oils isn’t necessary to enjoy the benefits. When I use oils in my bath, I get a tingly feeling, which I hope is from the oils working and not some strange new Fibro symptom! One way to use oils is to mix them with a carrier oil and use them topically. I just bought a bunch of rollerball bottles and some fractionated coconut oil for a carrier oil. I plan to have some fun making different mixes and I might even give some as gifts. Good luck!