Getting Ready for Work — the Fibro Way

Getting Ready for Work — the Fibro Way
It's hard enough to wake up any morning, but now I have to get ready for work. What's that about? Most days, it exhausts me to the point that I can’t go to work! What is someone with fibromyalgia to do? Here are a few things that make it easier for me to get out the door and into work: Prepare the night before. This is fairly obvious, but not easy to accomplish. I lay out my clothes and make sure my lunch is packed. My keys and purse are where they should be. I do anything I can the night before. Showers. They are a challenge, to say the least. Showering with fibro can be difficult to impossible. I’ve had issues with dizziness. I can’t catch my breath, or sometimes have heavy and labored breathing. My doctor recommended taking cooler showers and to move slow and easy. I try to take showers in the late afternoon or evening and take sponge baths in the morning. I quickly wash the parts that need it and I am good to go. Getting dressed. I wear clothes that are easy to put on and take off. If I could go to work in my sweats, I would. But since that isn’t allowed, I tend to stick with shirts without buttons and pull-on pants. Dresses work pretty slick, too, as long as there isn’t a zipper in the back. (I refuse, however, to wear nylons!) Hair and makeup. I try to wash and style my hair the night before, if possible, and touch it up before I leave. It’s difficult for me to take care of my hair. My arms get tired and sore. It gets to the point where I can’

• Carrie Anton says:

No and I don’t plan to. I would rather work as long as I can. My employer is very understanding and is very generous with time off, which really helps. I hope I don’t get to the point where I can’t work any longer. I’m almost 52 so I only need to make it for 15 more years…lol!

• Carrie Anton says:

Thank you Robin! There are times when I am very envious of your work situation. Like every Monday through Friday…Lol!

1. Anthonette says:

Hi there. I was diagnosed with FM last November and it makes perfect sense. I couldn’t figure out WHAT was happening to me. Unfortunately my boss isn’t understanding and tells me “take my meds and see you when you get to work” that makes it even worse. No one in my circle is understanding and that makes this process terrible. I WISH I could work from home 🙁

• Carrie Anton says:

I’m sorry your boss isn’t understanding. My previous employer wasn’t either. I got lucky with this job. I do wish I could work at home as well but that isn’t an option at this time. Without support, it is very hard to get through this awful illness. Have you looked into a support group? I’ve found a number of support groups on Facebook and that was a lifesaver for me. It really helps to interact with others that are going through the same thing. Best of luck and gentle hugs!!!

2. Anthonette says:

Awww thank you so much. They’re really needed right now. No I haven’t looked into a support group, but I’m on it now. Thank you. I’m desperately seeking a new full time job.

3. Donna M Mason says:

This disease It is so mid-understood . when you have FMA ; most people I know say “oh I heard that on a commercial ; or such and such has that?!!!. Never giving that support of comfort; unfortunately I was recently fired due to me exceeding my intermittent of absentee from my FMLA, STD ; or leaving early. I am fighting DUA my Job contested so it is in Appeal; it is just awful going through this alone.

I am Happy just because I know GOD loves me and will see me through these dark days.

I cannot find a Dr that will prescribe or Help with other alternatives; and I have to fight for Justice because I have Fybrimyalgia along with depression.

I get up every morning and Stretch, pray and constantly moving just so my muscles and nerves will not flare up pain.

Thanks for listening ??

• Carrie Anton says:

Donna, I am so sorry you are going through such a difficult time. Have you checked into some of the support groups on the internet, including Facebook? Being able to interact with others who are going through or have gone through what you are experiencing can be very beneficial. I’ve learned so much from other fibromyalgia suffers and I’ve made wonderful friends. I pray your appeal goes well and that you are able to find a doctor who will help you. I recently started seeing a chiropractor and I am very happy with the results so far. Have you sought out alternative treatments on your own? To save money, I’ve used online deals like Groupon or Living Social. I found my massage therapist that way and she offered me a lower price as long as I committed to coming back every month. Finding low cost alternative treatments isn’t easy but they are out there. Thank you for sharing your story! Best of luck to you and gentle hugs!!!