Research the Medicines; Make a List

Research the Medicines; Make a List
Christine Tender Points Even before my fibromyalgia diagnosis, I realized the importance of keeping a list of the medications I had taken. While still bouncing from one specialist to another, trying to learn what was wrong with me, I was prescribed at least one of every class of drugs available for my symptoms. Given the unpleasant side effects many of them produced, I didn’t want to chance taking the same one twice. I couldn’t rely on memory alone, especially when each drug has both a generic and a brand name. After my diagnosis, my rheumatologist was determined to help me feel better. New medications were prescribed at every visit. Many had no effect on my symptoms. Others had intolerable side effects. Eventually, we found one that worked. After only two pills, I thought I’d been cured. The pain eased. The fog lifted. I slept easily and awoke feeling alert. For two weeks, I felt better than I’d felt in years. Then my insides turned to liquid, and I finally had to admit that my sensitive GI system just doesn’t tolerate drugs well. Even a single pill can keep me in the bathroom for hours. Drugs that cause constipation for the rest of the world will have the opposite effect on me. I turned next to alternative therapies

1. Judy Thornton says:

This is such good advice. Wish I had done this many years ago. Now, I just say I’ve
    tried everything. I’m still searching for the thing that works!

2. Don says:

Excellent article Christine! It is both well written and very informative. I have a list of all medications I take and plan on creating a matrix with the side effects of each.
    I am curious as to what the two medications were that made you think you were cured to begin with. I know that we all different, and each of us must find the combination of things that work best for us, but just two medications sounds like a godsend.
    Thank you very much for writing this. It helps reinforce things I have done and provides me with ideas for additional things to do. Now the hardest part is to actually start doing them, and keep doing them.

• Christine Lynch says:

The first one that worked for me was Zoloft. Two weeks of bliss. The next one was several years later. That was Cymbalta. I was only able to take each of them for about 2 weeks, but during that time I felt like a normal human being again. But, yes, every person is different. What worked for me won’t necessarily work for anyone else. Good luck with your search.

3. Diane says:

I’m super sensitive as well, can’t tolerate any drugs. Cymbalta nearly killed me, omg. So, I have a large baggie filled with pill bottles of stuff that I couldn’t tolerate. I’m now pursuing more Eastern type treatment and trying to reduce the inflammation with turmeric and ginger, I’ve knocked back the pain considerably, but still have a long way to go….it’s hard trying to treat yourself, but at least I know that acupressure won’t put me in the ER.😉

• Don says:

Lol, large baggie filled with pill bottles. Glad I’m not the only one, I have two of those. Could probably fill a third with the vitamins I try to take. Oh well, such is life for right now. Hopefully things will get better in the future instead of still tracking downhill.

4. Tracey says:

I find it very helpful if you get all prescriptions filled at same pharmacy and they will print you out a list with everything you’ve filled and will update it (should be at no cost). I use this list to take to new doctors and find it more accurate and very convenient.

• Don says:

Good idea, I do that as long as the pharmacy has what I need. It’s such a burden going to the second pharmacy. Because I wasn’t there the previous months they have to call my doctor to verify the prescription (controlled items). The biggest inconvenience if needing to back every week, on occasion twice in a week, because of the different doctors and dates the prescriptions need to be filled.
      Good Luck All!