Aptinyx Conducts Phase 2 Trials of Investigational Therapy for Neuropathic Pain and Fibromyalgia

The biopharmaceutical company Aptinyx recently announced updates regarding its two Phase 2 clinical trials evaluating the company’s lead therapy candidate, NYX-2925. This therapy aims to treat pain associated with fibromyalgia and neuropathic pain associated with diabetic peripheral neuropathy (DPN). NYX-2925 is a modulator of the N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptor, which is involved in the process that causes chronic pain. The investigational therapy binds to a distinct, recently discovered site on the NMDA receptor to modulate NMDA-receptor-channel opening and enhance synaptic plasticity. This unique method was shown to be effective in animal models of several pain conditions and had a favorable safety profile. In a previous Phase 1 clinical study (NCT02834741) in healthy subjects, NYX-2925 was found to be well-tolerated across a wide dose range. “The Phase 1 study clearly demonstrated that NYX-2925 has highly predictable pharmacokinetics and is well-tolerated at doses that far exceed anticipated therapeutic doses. Therefore, we have advanced NYX-2925 into Phase 2 development for neuropathic pain associated with diabetic peripheral neuropathy, a condition in which patients struggle to manage their pain effectively with currently available therapeutic options,” Torsten Madsen, MD, PhD, Aptinyx’s chief medical officer, said in a press release. “Our preclinical research also supports studying NYX- 2925 in several other chronic pain conditions, including fibromyalgia,” Madsen added. Researchers will soon start recruit

1. Grace from Australia says:

Forgive me, but somehow I have no faith in medication coming from Big Pharma. It usually ends up with side-effect which are worse than the reason it is taken for.

• Adam Black says:

No, Absolutely Not. You are not forgivenen for spreading your ignorance and bigotry!

You obviously don’t have Neuropathy. It’s a neglected disease! There are almost no medicines developed to treat it. All of them on the market are designed for something else ( which is why they work poorly and with high side effects ).

These researchers are trying to treat it directly using cutting edge neurology.

Since you obviously know nothing about cutting research curing Neuropathy ( and treatments targeting new peripheral receptors ) it’s better for you to remain silent and thought a fool, then open your mouth and confirm it

2. This sounds like it could be promising !! Will probably be very expensive if and when it is offered to the public. Helping with our pain would be a very BIG deal for us.Have to say many prayers about this one. Thank you for the post.Got excited for a minute there. That doesn’t happen to often these days. Haha

3. Linda Whitton says:

I have been in severe pain for most of my 70+ years, so the thought of something that will really help relieve the pain interesting. but as “it” is in America, and I’m in ‘lil old UK, I won’t be holding my breath for it.

• Tim Bossie says:

Holding your breath might not help, but keep out some hope that this can be available throughout the world. However, it is still in research phase so it could take some time.

4. Brenda Stapleton says:

I have fibromyalgia and nerve damage. Since my neuropathy is not related to diabetes, I often get left out of many of these studies. I do hope for any change in treatment protocol. I have learned to live with a side effect or two, if the benefit outweighs it. Please keep trying… if not for me, for my children or theirs or yours.

• Jo Anne Johnson says:

I so very much agree with you. It is so frustrating that so many studies focus on diabetic peripheral neuropathy and exclude those of us with the same feeling of extreme pain, but without the diagnosis of diabetes. I am certainly not asking for nor wishing I had diabetes, but I do wish that these studies include those of us who are not diabetic. Our pain is great also. (Also, I too have fibromyalgia, and struggle to find anything that might help.)