Finding a New Calling in Life with Fibromyalgia

Finding a New Calling in Life with Fibromyalgia
Through the Fog I have found a new calling after my fibromyalgia diagnosis — perhaps you are like me, and found a new calling, too. If not, maybe it's something to think about. Before my diagnosis my life was pretty busy with kids, school and running errands. But as I got sicker, and was finally diagnosed, everything sort of came to a stop, and I had to decide what was I going to do going forward. One of the first things that I did was to create a Facebook group just for women struggling with fibromyalgia, and eventually it became a group for women with ANY type of chronic illness. It is an honor and a privilege for me to be able to support and encourage these women. A little over a year ago, I was contacted by BioNews Services based on something that I wrote for The Mighty. I was asked if I would be interested in writing for Fibromyalgia News Today. I never considered myself a particularly good writer, but I was encouraged by one of their editors, and started writing a column once a week, which eventually turned into twice a week. Because I was gaining confidence as a writer, I decided to invest in a course called self-publishing school. The course teaches you how to write and publish a book in 90 days; so, of course, I was intrigued. I'm still at the beginning stages of writing my first draft and it's pushing

1. Dia says:

Thank you so much for this. I have recently had to give up my Shiatsu Practice of 8 years due to no longer being able to manage the physical and emotional demands of giving treatments due to fibro. It has been a frightening and sad time, but I am now attempting to create some income by producing bags and floor cushions from up-cycled fabrics. I am exploring talents I thought I had, but never had opportunity to pursue. I’ll have my first booth at a local craft fair in a few weeks. So far so good. Your article really struck home for me. Thank you!

2. Em says:

Oh please…this is for the younguns’…yup, I am in the minority and it sucks!!!

Not self-pity——–reality for some-or not?

3. Marita Mitchell says:

Hi Robin, well done. It is of course about your deep empathy and kindness that you are successful. You have already inspired me to look into starting a blog, but in the meantime I have managed to get a bit of my writing and my art published online. I have found that colours and textures soothe my soul, and so I create unusual embroideries when I can. I also love writing.
    I know that we all suffer financial hardship, but at the moment I am unable to charge for anything, as I can’t face the pressure of producing to order.

4. Brooke says:

Thank you for the inspiration and encouragement. I’m struggling with finding what I can do, and reading articles like this on The Mighty gives me hope.

5. Linda says:

I LOVE THE IDEA OF A DEVOTIONAL FOR WOMEN. anything POSITIVE TO START ONE’S DAY WOULD BE AWESOME. And I LOVE YOUR ZEST FOR LIVING WITH FM by keeping a positive outlook. Each day is a day that I decide to conquer something instead of giving into the pain. And it encourages others along the way. Never give up and always hope today will be a better day. God bless you all !!!

6. Christa Boyce says:

I am excited to read your first book. When do you expect it to be available. It’s my first time here but I’ve lived with fibro now for 35 years since diagnosis. I like to veggie garden. It is labor intensive, but I love it the most in my retirement. I schedule one “thing to do” a day. Morning, afternoon, or evening.
    I am blessed to have the freedom. Sometimes I don’t know if I’m going to be able to do something until the morning of that day, long after there are no refunds on deposits or meals. My attitude has changed and I don’t stress anymore. I choose to be positive with that. Tell myself “today I am taking care of me. I’ll get some small project done at home and feel better in the evening, to boot. Now I can do something tomorrow.” If I find I can do something additional in the day, I can add that on. I am able to maintain a very spoiled cat, but not a full-time partner. It’s something else I’ve chosen.