First Cannabinoid-Based Transdermal Patch for Chronic Pain Is Ready for Release

First Cannabinoid-Based Transdermal Patch for Chronic Pain Is Ready for Release

The first batch of the Chronic Pain CBIS Transdermal Patch will soon be released, offering a cannabinoid-based alternative to people around the globe who self-medicate for fibromyalgia and other chronic pain conditions, Cannabis Science has announced.

In November 2016, the company announced the development of two new medications for pain relief in people with fibromyalgia, neuropathy, diabetic nerve pain, back strains, and other pain-related conditions. These pain relievers correspond to transdermal adhesive patches that deliver a certain dose of medication into the bloodstream by absorption through the patient’s skin.

The first CBIS Transdermal Patch contains high-potency cannabinoid (CBD) extract, the second major cannabinoid in marijuana after tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). CBD has all the anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties without any psychoactive effects, and research has demonstrated that it can be an effective treatment for inflammatory pain. Some studies have even demonstrated that CBD might outperform traditional pain medication in some cases.

“The CBIS medicated adhesive transdermal patch is placed on the skin to deliver a specific dose of cannabinoid medications into the bloodstream,” Allen Herman, chief medical officer of Cannabis Science, said in a press release. “Self-medicating patients have been reporting promoted healing effects to specific injured areas of the body experiencing chronic pain.

Herman said the transdermal patch has an advantage over other types of medication delivery, including oral, topical, intravenous, and intramuscular, because it can “provide a controlled release of the medication into the patient, usually through a porous membrane covering a reservoir of medication or body heat that melts thin layers of high potency cannabinoid formulations embedded in the adhesive; the medication slowly enters the bloodstream at the chronic pain spot and then penetrates the central nervous system, delivering the pain relief reported by self-medicating patients.”

Cannabis Science plans to continue to grow its distribution network. The company announced that it will add Kush Factory in Los Angeles, California, as CBIS’ newest Spotlight Dispensary for the month of July 2017. As Spotlight Dispensary for the month, Kush Factory will be the first to carry the Chronic Pain CBIS Transdermal Patches.

• Jennifer Power says:

I don’t know what state you’re in, I’m luckly in California. I have been using these CBD transdermal patches for a number of months now, I have felt that they are helpful but not a magic bullet. I’m now off of all opioids, my choice, and I’d like to try them again.

I agree with the opioid witch hunt, all the talking heads and government simply don’t understand. For me personally the opioids were causing me more trouble after a long term use than help. My G.I. tract had almost completely stopped functioning, to the point where I was throwing up almost every meal. I also was not getting the pain relief that I used to. Pretty much maxed out. I got it all out of my system, detoxed from sugar and after the sugar headache went away, which took about two weeks I feel like a different person. Yes my pain is still there but it is much more tolerable. I plan to try to deal with that with just epidurals with less steroids and one natural content. Found a doctor that treats that way without opioids. I feel very confident that this could be a way out of a lot of pain from fibromyalgia and many broken body parts, multiple surgeries and deteriorated discs. I said, I also would like to try to use the CBD drops and patches again. There are other back up plans that I might try, but I’m not sure if they’re allowed to be talked about on this website. I am so happy I did what I did. Not only did I get the benefit of being off sugar, but being off the opioids has been on amazing journey. They believed that was my future and I have no choice. It’s not an easy journey but for me it was well worth it.

1. scott oconnor says:

this would be so helpful,im a severe chronic pain suffer,w stuck in all this political witchunt on pain mefs,usa hasva drug problem???uh im pusjiin 60 yrs old ,i dont recall no time therevwssnt a so falled drug problem,itsva people problem,just like the gun isdue…pls help the chronic pain sufferer,if only ya knew the horror of not having a lil better life not in pain….

• scott oconnor says:

sorry for poor spelling,nearly 3 days w lil to no sleep, say no to pain n yes to legalize medical cannabis…someones gotta truley care about people n not just $$$$$$…. sad times we dwell in…hope n faith..r.i.p old america,i miss you dearly…

• Lorna Coler says:

Hi Scott, I have suffered for 25 years and I care about you. I have to say that I recently bought the PainShield off the internet and after two weeks of use, I am pain free. Personal device, broad spectrum ultrasound, give a 30 money-back offer. I have tried everything in the past, this is the only think that has worked. Lorna, Canada

2. Mary Emilio says:

If you read remarks on Kush Factory, it sounds like it needs shut down. First remarks are probably correct, the next several are probably people that work there.
    It seems whoever picks the places to distribute CBD or the new patches needs to do more research.

3. reba caldwell says:

Is there any help for people in Oklahoma that has chronic pain? It’s just not fair to the ones with chronic pain. Help Oklahoma please.

• Tim Bossie says:

We are sorry for the lack of information, but as the article states it is ready for release, but hasn’t actually been released to the markets yet. Add to that, individual country’s will be making their own approvals of the patch on their own timetable. We simply do not have that information within the study and news report.

4. Lori says:

And when this patch is ready for consumer’s where can this patch be bought at. I need this for my chronic pain, Like 20 year’s ago!!

• Tim Bossie says:

The patch is ready for release. It is now a matter of getting it approved in different countries and states before the residents there can use it. Check with your doctor to see if this is something that you are able to purchase.

5. Shannon kerr says:

I would love to know when this will be available in canada. Cannabis is the only thing that really helps for fibromyalgia pain. It’s terrible that we have to suffer.

6. Trudi Passey says:

What is the likelihood of this coming to the UK? I wear a transdermal patch now but its fentanyl I’d much rather it wasn’t and I had an option.

7. Liz Merker says:

Please let us know when and where it will be introduced.. I live in Florida…will not bore you about symptoms for the last 40 years..

8. I’ve truly given up on trying to find anything for my pain as I have no insurance or money. My fibromyalgia and Neuropathy,COPD and God knows what else they’ll find wrong with me makes it to where I can no longer work. The state I live in doesn’t have any options for me either. It would be a great thing if this patch works but unfortunately my state won’t allow it

9. Cath says:

Where can I buy it? I live in Australia & my GP wont allow me the cannabis oil as its not legal in NSW, Australia. Its driving me mad as so many other countries allow it.
    Ive love with chronic pain, fm arthritis & depression for 30+ years & am on opioids that I have to wean off come December. I need this desperately, can you help me out here?
    Thanks