Proove Biosciences Offering Test to Assisting in Treating Jaw Disorder Known as TMD

Proove Biosciences recently announced the launch of a test that may help doctors treat patients with temporomandibular joint disorder (TMD), a painful condition that can be associated with fibromyalgia. The product is called the Proove TMD Profile test.

TMD is characterized by a dysfunction in the muscles that move the jaw, and patients with TMD experience pain and restricted jaw movement.  Although its causes are unknown, TMD has been seen to occur simultaneously with other painful conditions, such as fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome.

“With such an abundance of Americans suffering from the painful symptoms of TMD, dentists, pain physicians and oral surgeons are lacking ways of diagnosing and treating suffering patients,” said Brian Meshkin, Proove Biosciences’ founder and CEO, in a news release. “Building off of the incredible work done by patient advocates, academic researchers, and the largest NIH-funded prospective study in chronic pain, we are honored to partner with these experts to launch Proove TMD Profile, which will undoubtedly aid patients and clinicians by analyzing DNA markers and recommending the most appropriate treatment based on scientific evidence.”

Proove TMD Profile works by analyzing genetic variants in the adrenergic and serotonergic pathways, as well as patient self-reported stress and tender points. In this way, it can help doctors evaluate pain perception and understand the mechanisms involved in the onset of TMD pain, which can help them in developing more personalized treatments.

The profile, according the company’s website, also offers pharmacological insights, based on its results, into how each patient is likely to respond to drug therapy prior to treatment and a genetic potential predisposition to addiction. This could be of importance, because a recent study showed that dentists frequently prescribe opioid painkillers to TMD patients ages 14 to 17, as well as young adults ages 18 to 24.

The National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research estimates that 10 million Americans are affected by TMD.

1. Sha'ula says:

Yeah, I did not know I had TMJ until my rheumatologist said upon initial exam, “you have TMJ.” I knew occasionally my jaw would lock up, but did not make the connection to TMJ. I was told to see a dentist for an expensive mouth piece. I have not done that. Without knowing whether it would prove to be of any help, I am not paying a bunch of money for something that may or may not work. Any one out there know what works for TMJ?

• Denise Bault says:

I did get one from my dentist years ago. At that time it was $600. That was after trying an athlete’s mouthguard which was too big. Then I tried one from Splintek? I believe that’s the name. It was different in that you wore it one your lower teeth, versus the others that go on your upper. It was more pliable and had hinges that moved to supposedly keep the TMJ pain under control. As I mentioned in an earlier blog, I woke up in the middle of the night, chewing on it, thinking it was food and was going to swallow it! Threw it out then and there. Haven’t used any since. They may help some folks, but was a huge waste of money for me.

2. Denise Bault says:

TMD or TMJ disorder was one of my first symptoms. However, the article above doesn’t really state what Proove actually DOES to help those of us afflicted. It’s not hard to find out if someone has a predisposition for addiction. Addiction is often hereditary…just ask. I’m glad they are at least looking into the genetic component. Maybe something will come from that? I guess I just don’t see the point after reading the article twice. Does anyone else?

• Sha'ula says:

Agreed. I love how researchers and those companies selling their merch. don’t ever give a guarantee for Fibro. If it really worked (if it were really true) wouldn’t they offer that? If you believe in what you sell, then would not give a guarantee? 30 years ago when I first got this I thought that I could cope with the aches and pains, but this is now full blown everything from TMJ, IBS, Headaches, Constant post nasal drip, Eye pain, Tinnitus (like living in a jet wash), “Severe” Hearing Loss over past year (yes, I have Opticon’s brain relief hearing aids). On and On. It seems the list grows every day, does it ever stop? I think I now have every symptom listed after 30 years of this disease. Every time I have a new symptom and research it guess what I find? It is related to FIBRO! Having sleep study done, don’t know why, like they are going to tell me something I haven’t already tried? I used to sleep like a baby until this year. They say it is related to what? FIBRO. (can you hear me sigh). When I retire (I hope soon) I will just use pot and all will be well. Until then since I am employed and employer says you can not even use hemp (legal or not and yes, they drug test) I guess I will hang on by finger nails. So far I have a FP doc, rheumatologist, gastroenterologist, chiropractor, massage therapist, and now a sleep specialist doc. Pot is the only answer. Seriously, never thought I would be saying that, but it is true.

• Denise Bault says:

Been through the ringer like you too! How many docs does one gal have to have? It’s ridiculous. Pot does help immensely…but still does not get rid of all the pain. At least it helps take your mind off of it and can help with sleep. Just read another article that is for “doctors” which talked about how little research has been done on it, blah, blah, blah. At least one of the docs replied that “We shouldn’t be spitting in the face of our Hippocratic oath and more research needs to be done.” I think one of the problems is that they all “specialize.” They all NEED to have the ability to connect the dots, yet most are only versed or only care about their particular dot. (i.e. what makes them the most money!) That and they believe the hype from Big Pharma. That’s why it takes so darn long to get diagnosed…and then they only treat the “symptom” of their specialty! Wouldn’t we all love to have the money back that we’ve spent on “cures”, along with the meds that don’t work and the therapies that only help for a little while? I know I would! I now know if they say it’s a “cure,” buyer beware!

3. kathy says:

I lived with my TMJ for about 3 years before my jaw locked one day eating an apple slice and the pain kept worsening so decided it was time to spend the money for a mouthpiece. today I could not live without it. It doesn’t take the pain away for me but does lessen it. I suspect it might be different for every individual but for me it helps. I am also a migraine sufferer so once I have a migraine the jaw pain just goes through the roof.

4. Maryhelen Reyes says:

Wow I too suffer with TMD . It comes and goes where my jaw aches and my face too. Rub it out in cheeks feels like knots and rub teeth and cranial pain too . Neck and shoulder pain lot too . Was using dental piece but sleep apnea moved me to another mouth piece that moves my jaw forward so I can get oxygen so bulky though . It’s a job to get to sleep ? . It’s been tough. Hope to get some new help . They did operate on jaw joint that really through me for a loop . Surgery didn’t agree with me . Lots of grace to all of you.